Art Toolkit Ambassador Lisa Spangler demonstrates color mixing and guides us through creating homemade holiday cards! This is a recording from our live demo on Tuesday, December 6th, 2022 with Lisa Spangler.
Lisa had lots of fun things planned for us, including some color mixing and talking about reds and greens using the following paints to make beautiful, seasonal hues.
In the demo, you’ll hear Lisa talk about some special green color mixes, including:
- Christmas Black: quinacridone coral and phthalo green (various amounts of each).
- Sage: cobalt turquoise light + chromium green oxide + a little perylene red
- Dark green: phthalo green (blue shade) + chromium green oxide; add a little indigo to darken even more (this mix is similar to Daniel Smith’s jadeite!)
- Yellow green: chromium green oxide + azo yellow
Here is a list of the supplies Lisa used for this demo:
- Watercolors — Lisa used an assortment of reds and greens listed above, along with the Grow Untamed Palette
- 4 x 6 postcards and other scraps of watercolor paper
- Rosemary & Co R10 Synthetic and R12 Pocket Dagger.
- Local botanicals: Yaupon holly, Ashe juniper, artemisia, Gregg salvia and a fall aster from her garden
- Pilot Parallel Pens, brush pens, white gel pen
- Gouache (gold, white)
- Top row: azo yellow, transparent orange (Schmincke), raw sienna, quinacridone gold, chromium green oxide, phthalo green (blue shade)
- Middle row: cobalt teal blue, cerulean blue hue (Schmincke), cobalt blue, ultramarine blue, indigo
- Bottom row: quinacridone rose, quinacridone coral, organic vermillion, perylene red, Venetian red, piemontite genuine, transparent red oxide
We had so much fun decorating holiday cards and being inspired by the wintery plants around us. Thank you, Lisa, for leading this delightful demo!